Skip to main content

Ultimate Tips For Naija Living II


V

            Perhaps you think every road user has equal rights to the road, think twice my friend. There is an unwritten law that many road users adhere to, albeit unbeknownst to them. This constitution places pedestrians at the lowest rungs of the ladder when importance on the road is concerned the President sits at the top (see table below). At the higher echelons there are bullion vans, police vans, Fire trucks, vehicles belonging to the military and official convoys. Truth is you may overtake some vehicles but some cars should never be overtaken. Take for instance a General’s official car with a General inside, for safety reasons don’t overtake. No matter how slow they are driving, just endure driving at a healthy distance behind or change route. Hitting a military ride is a big No No. And unless you want to be flogged or driven off the road or maybe shot at on suspicion of being a terrorist don’t overtake any governor’s convoy. You would definitely be killed if you overtake the president’s convoy but thankfully all cars are cleared off the road half an hour or so before the big man comes.


Type of Road User
Recommended Action for Pedestrians
Recommended Actions for Okada/Keke men
Recommended Actions for car drivers
Pedestrian
Do anything (You may greet other pedestrians if you wish)

Honk loud whenever they stray unto the road
Okada
Be very cautious,

Take care to avoid hitting any one of them, their comrades may mobilize and burn your car.
Keke
Be very cautious also


Car
 No recommended Action
  No recommended Action
Shout them to order whenever they go cross your lane.
Bullion vans
Stay away!


Para military convoy*
So far as they are not Policemen there’s nothing to fear.

You can over take them. They are quite harmless.
Military Convoy
Stay safely away
Stay away from them to avoid getting whipped
Clear!!
Governors Convoy
You may stand still and wave
Don’t go near
President’s Convoy
You may smile and wave
I hate to imagine the repercussions of driving near this convoy in this case. If you ever get the opportunity and you are not a personnel of the convoy, stay away.
Table 1 Showing Recommended Road behavior for Road User


                                                                       VI


Just in case you happen to land in a police case. Advice for you is this: do whatever is necessary not to be taken to the police station. It is said that you are to make every effort to settle with your adversary (in this case the lawmen) before you are taken to the Judge. There is a heavy burden on young males between the ages of 17-35. The perpetrators of most crimes fall into this demographic group. If you fall into this group you are not innocent anymore until proven otherwise. For instance you could be taking a late night stroll with your friend and you could be easily rounded up for any flimsy reason, say for example late night wandering. So in a hypothetical scenario as painted above, necessary actions ought to be taken.  These necessary actions may include but are not limited to:

Begging: This hardly moves any policeman, however is very helpful when combined with other actions)

Bluffing: Claim to be a soldier’s son, or a soldier. Better still, sound like a lawyer. Have a plan B if you think the cops intend to call your bluff. If you are no stranger to police trouble don’t attempt bluffing.

Escape: Should the chances be good, evade arrest in the first place. Run away if the heat isn’t too much yet and if the police are not armed. A note of warning though, If you attempt escape and you are caught it’s a different ball game altogether.

Allow yourself to be extorted from: Sometimes this is the easiest way to unhook yourself from wahala, I frown upon it due to its ethical concerns. If you must employ this action you are encouraged to discreetly tape it and subsequently publish it.

Example of combination of Recommended Actions to take after being Picked Up

Beg   à beg some more   à   allow yourself to be extorted from   à  you are let free
Or
Bluff      à     Bluff   à  Beg   à  Escape

Note: if these fail to get you off the hook, just arrange someone to come with bail money (bail is never free) and brace up for torment and forfeiture of a dozen of your human rights.

Most importantly, maintaining a good character and not hanging out with bad guys would get you out of Police trouble but most times but whenever you get into the trouble you have these to fall upon.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's grace, subway surfers: what's the connection?

I was in church yesterday for Bible study and it was so awesome I had to share. We studied God's grace which in Greek is Charis. Let me digress. I am a big fan of the game subway surfers and I have a score of about 255k to show for the countless hours I have put into the game. When I first launched the game a friend told me his highest score was about 80k, he further told me that he'd seen folks with scores in millions. My ultimate goal then became having a score of at least 300k. It seemed like a tall order. However with time I realised that there were boosts (like surfboards, score boosters, magnets and power ups) and aids to help me achieve my goal. The more I ran, the more boosts I gathered,  the easier the game became and the higher my scores climbed. Now this post ain't entirely about subway surfers. Its also about God's grace. God's grace to us can be defined as the unmerited favor and support God bequeathed upon us. Titus 2:11,12 I paraphrase: The grace

The Small Nigeria in my Classroom

Happy Democracy Day fellow Nigerian democrat. I wish you a prosperous day! I believe there is a micro Nigerian society in my class here in school. This got me thinking about the similarity between the Nigerian Political space and my class, I will attempt to highlight these similarities as honestly as possible without sentiments just as I have observed them. These are just honest observations devoid of any malice. Okay? First of all, let's go tribal. My classroom is divided into these major groups; there are the Yoruba speakers, Nupe speakers, Hausa speakers and the English speakers. Yoruba speakers are those people who speak Yoruba most (they may not even be Yoruba). Nupe speakers are mostly Niger state indigenes, they are quite few but are the next largest identifiable group in terms of cohesion amongst members. Hausa speaking folks are a loose band of people who feel more at ease using Hausa as a Lingua Franca than English. English speakers don't really use any other langua

Falling: Of Risks and Losses

Credit: Jerry X Based on true life events The events described herein happened to a bosom friend of mine. It is with his sad commission that I share this story. He believes that by some stroke of good fortune, this story could be a way out of his sadness. This the story of my beloved friend whom I shall not name to protect his identity. My friend met this lady at a professional engagement about this time last year. In his words “I caught sight of her when she stood up to introduce herself. She just stood out from the crowd. She was not just beautiful but she spoke intelligently. I knew if I did not get her number, I'd have fallen hand”. He further confided that I served as extra motivation. That he knew that if he let her go, I'd not tolerate any made up stories. While I feel humbled, I must clarify that I do not push my friends to go a-philandering. I just detest sloppiness, timidity and inferiority complex. So when my friend brought news of his new acqu