Skip to main content

Two Flames on a Candle (Episode 4)

The events following his meeting with Bayo took a wild dimension. The country was rocked by the EndSARs protests. Chima who had had a few run ins with the dreaded SARS operatives before was emotionally invested. Despite Miriam's objections, Chima made effort to participate in the protests. With time, Miriam no longer worried about Chima's presence at the protests as it appeared the protests had a therapeutic effect upon him.

He didn't even need to see the therapist his boss recommended. His nights were peaceful and his nightmares ceased. Miriam was pleased, especially as she was finally getting some good loving on most nights. Life was getting back to normal ironically as a result of the abnormal circumstances. 

When the Lekki shootings occured, Miriam was scared Chima was going to lose it and go into a downward spiral. Chima surprisingly held it together. He even suggested that they tried to make a baby. This pleased Miriam and she was already thinking of baby names.

She had drawn up a list of names from Anna to Zara. She was quite sure whoever they were going to be making was a baby girl. Chima was indifferent, he had always wanted to have a daughter of his own. He had always envied the fathers he observed at church who had daughters clinging tightly to them.

He couldn't wait to be a dad. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's grace, subway surfers: what's the connection?

I was in church yesterday for Bible study and it was so awesome I had to share. We studied God's grace which in Greek is Charis. Let me digress. I am a big fan of the game subway surfers and I have a score of about 255k to show for the countless hours I have put into the game. When I first launched the game a friend told me his highest score was about 80k, he further told me that he'd seen folks with scores in millions. My ultimate goal then became having a score of at least 300k. It seemed like a tall order. However with time I realised that there were boosts (like surfboards, score boosters, magnets and power ups) and aids to help me achieve my goal. The more I ran, the more boosts I gathered,  the easier the game became and the higher my scores climbed. Now this post ain't entirely about subway surfers. Its also about God's grace. God's grace to us can be defined as the unmerited favor and support God bequeathed upon us. Titus 2:11,12 I paraphrase: The grace

The Small Nigeria in my Classroom

Happy Democracy Day fellow Nigerian democrat. I wish you a prosperous day! I believe there is a micro Nigerian society in my class here in school. This got me thinking about the similarity between the Nigerian Political space and my class, I will attempt to highlight these similarities as honestly as possible without sentiments just as I have observed them. These are just honest observations devoid of any malice. Okay? First of all, let's go tribal. My classroom is divided into these major groups; there are the Yoruba speakers, Nupe speakers, Hausa speakers and the English speakers. Yoruba speakers are those people who speak Yoruba most (they may not even be Yoruba). Nupe speakers are mostly Niger state indigenes, they are quite few but are the next largest identifiable group in terms of cohesion amongst members. Hausa speaking folks are a loose band of people who feel more at ease using Hausa as a Lingua Franca than English. English speakers don't really use any other langua

Falling: Of Risks and Losses

Credit: Jerry X Based on true life events The events described herein happened to a bosom friend of mine. It is with his sad commission that I share this story. He believes that by some stroke of good fortune, this story could be a way out of his sadness. This the story of my beloved friend whom I shall not name to protect his identity. My friend met this lady at a professional engagement about this time last year. In his words “I caught sight of her when she stood up to introduce herself. She just stood out from the crowd. She was not just beautiful but she spoke intelligently. I knew if I did not get her number, I'd have fallen hand”. He further confided that I served as extra motivation. That he knew that if he let her go, I'd not tolerate any made up stories. While I feel humbled, I must clarify that I do not push my friends to go a-philandering. I just detest sloppiness, timidity and inferiority complex. So when my friend brought news of his new acqu