Skip to main content

The Young Exec's Playbook: Starting A Business (II)

we continue from where we stopped in yesterday's discussion on starting small businesses.

Trustworthiness
Seriously nobody wants to do business with a perceived crook not to talk of a real crook, maintain a healthy image. An image of a cheating, win-at-all-cost, dishonest businessman will keep genuine customers and investors away. Never get greedy, cheat or do some behind-the-back dealings on your partner. Do not deal in fake products or substandard goods, let your yes be yes do not shift collection/delivery dates unnecessarily. Long and short of the matter is this : maintain a clean image.

PS. Stay away from people with bad rep who will paint you guilty by association in the eyes of customers and investors.

Look the Part
As a young Exec, you should look the part. I’d advice you get a suit (I hear that’s the key to closing deals in Abuja). While a suit may not be really really important, it is important you dress smart whenever you go for an engagement, especially as you as the image of the business.

Apart from looking the part, also speak the part especially when you go out to meet customers and investors. Speaking and writing using the accepted register for the field you are engaged in gives your customers and investors the confidence that you know your field.

Advertise
As soon as-even before, your business starts, you can begin advertising your goods and services. The cheapest and easiest form of advertisement has been and will remain by word of mouth. Tell your friends to tell their friends about your products and services. Offer free samples and free services as a way of advertising also.
Never underestimate the power of social media, if possible open facebook, twitter, g+ pages for your business, especially if you are into service provision. From there you can launch larger media campaigns as your business grows.

Network
As your business grows, you’ll discover that you cannot do everything on your own. That is the reason you need to network, networking with professionals in industries allied to yours will make things a lot easier. Networking is like a professional friendship between two businessmen, build alliances at every opportunity, introduce yourself and your business whenever the chance. From your networks you will be able to find suppliers and service providers for business at costs comfortable to you. Other businesses within your networks will find it easy to recommend customers to you.
For instance as an emerging fashion designer having makeup artists, Photographers, modeling agencies, Stylists, and PR people in you networks saves you some money in form of discounts when it comes to organizing a photo shoot.

Manage resources properly
Manage your resources properly such that you can derive optimum value for your investments. Be austere in your expenditure and maximize value for everything you pay for. Cut all unnecessary weights and operate as slim and flexible as possible.
When your business stabilizes and you begin to get returns on your investments, be sure you manage it properly. Do not rush to get the latest Beamer or take on a chieftaincy title and injure your business in the process. Neither should you let debts, employee trouble run you aground.
In case you have troubles with management get books on it and read up.
Best wishes in your business!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's grace, subway surfers: what's the connection?

I was in church yesterday for Bible study and it was so awesome I had to share. We studied God's grace which in Greek is Charis. Let me digress. I am a big fan of the game subway surfers and I have a score of about 255k to show for the countless hours I have put into the game. When I first launched the game a friend told me his highest score was about 80k, he further told me that he'd seen folks with scores in millions. My ultimate goal then became having a score of at least 300k. It seemed like a tall order. However with time I realised that there were boosts (like surfboards, score boosters, magnets and power ups) and aids to help me achieve my goal. The more I ran, the more boosts I gathered,  the easier the game became and the higher my scores climbed. Now this post ain't entirely about subway surfers. Its also about God's grace. God's grace to us can be defined as the unmerited favor and support God bequeathed upon us. Titus 2:11,12 I paraphrase: The grace

The Small Nigeria in my Classroom

Happy Democracy Day fellow Nigerian democrat. I wish you a prosperous day! I believe there is a micro Nigerian society in my class here in school. This got me thinking about the similarity between the Nigerian Political space and my class, I will attempt to highlight these similarities as honestly as possible without sentiments just as I have observed them. These are just honest observations devoid of any malice. Okay? First of all, let's go tribal. My classroom is divided into these major groups; there are the Yoruba speakers, Nupe speakers, Hausa speakers and the English speakers. Yoruba speakers are those people who speak Yoruba most (they may not even be Yoruba). Nupe speakers are mostly Niger state indigenes, they are quite few but are the next largest identifiable group in terms of cohesion amongst members. Hausa speaking folks are a loose band of people who feel more at ease using Hausa as a Lingua Franca than English. English speakers don't really use any other langua

Falling: Of Risks and Losses

Credit: Jerry X Based on true life events The events described herein happened to a bosom friend of mine. It is with his sad commission that I share this story. He believes that by some stroke of good fortune, this story could be a way out of his sadness. This the story of my beloved friend whom I shall not name to protect his identity. My friend met this lady at a professional engagement about this time last year. In his words “I caught sight of her when she stood up to introduce herself. She just stood out from the crowd. She was not just beautiful but she spoke intelligently. I knew if I did not get her number, I'd have fallen hand”. He further confided that I served as extra motivation. That he knew that if he let her go, I'd not tolerate any made up stories. While I feel humbled, I must clarify that I do not push my friends to go a-philandering. I just detest sloppiness, timidity and inferiority complex. So when my friend brought news of his new acqu