Skip to main content

The Young Exec's Playbook:Partnerships That Work

Building Business Partnerships that Work


Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer. Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger. Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard. Silas and Joseph. What do lasting partnerships have in common? They lasted a long time -- and in some cases are still going strong. Why is it that some partnerships succeed while others crash and burn?
Here are some tips for building successful business partnerships that stand the test of time, sourced from observation, study, personal experience and a chanced glance at The Businessman’s Playbook.

Trust
There should be trust between intending partners. Trust is a fundamental factor in every type of partnership, be it marriage, courtship or even friendship.
It is pertinent to be able to trust your partner to make the right choices and possess the capacity to put you at ease with his/her character. So there wouldn’t be any need to go snooping about.
Bottomline: Go for a trustworthy partner. Any doubt is unhealthy.

Common and aligned ambitions and goals
As partners, your vision for the business as well as goals and ambitions for the business should be similar, not necessarily identical. This is the foundation, partners may have different ways of approaching the business, but at the same time their sense of what we value in life, what we place value on, is pretty close.”
Hewlett and Packard, both Stanford University electrical engineering graduates, worked together on a fellowship. When they launched their business in Packard's garage near Palo Alto, California, in 1939, they shared the same mission and objective: to build an electronics company.

You and your partner can be radically different, but you both have to have an undying commitment to your cause without keeping score.
Partner should be able to share aligned goals of the destination of the business in question.
There is no need going for a partner who wants to go east while your destination is westward. Even the Bible speaks about two people having to agree before they can walk together- I like to think “work together too”.

Complement each other, even if you do things differently.
The fact that you and your partner have aligned goals and ambitions does not mean your individual modes of operation must be identical.
The way you and your partner handle the business day-to-day, expenses, and even clients, can be completely different, but it doesn’t mean the business won’t work.
It’s left for you and your partner to identify each other’s strengths as well as where they will be best applied.
Honest and Open Communication
Having a partner means you need to have honest and open communication always, no matter how difficult the topic. This includes talking about money, mistakes and different management styles.

It's extremely important that you let people know where you stand -- what motivates you, how you operate, what your expectations are, et cetera.
Making it clear from the beginning what you expect from your partner saves a lot of awkward moments down the line. There should be no issues you hold back from your partner especially if it pertains to the business.
As you work to make your partnership thrive, find a win-win solution that is fair to both parties, and establish a clear framework for success. Anyone who's been in a partnership can tell you that they aren't easy - but they can also be extremely rewarding, and perhaps even essential to the success of your venture.

Commitment

Every partnership requires commitment to drive it off the drawing board into reality. Every partner needs to be committed to making the business work. There should be no half-hearted efforts. You do or you do not- there is no try.

P.S It may seem that two is the lucky number when it comes to partnerships, but then more could be merrier!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's grace, subway surfers: what's the connection?

I was in church yesterday for Bible study and it was so awesome I had to share. We studied God's grace which in Greek is Charis. Let me digress. I am a big fan of the game subway surfers and I have a score of about 255k to show for the countless hours I have put into the game. When I first launched the game a friend told me his highest score was about 80k, he further told me that he'd seen folks with scores in millions. My ultimate goal then became having a score of at least 300k. It seemed like a tall order. However with time I realised that there were boosts (like surfboards, score boosters, magnets and power ups) and aids to help me achieve my goal. The more I ran, the more boosts I gathered,  the easier the game became and the higher my scores climbed. Now this post ain't entirely about subway surfers. Its also about God's grace. God's grace to us can be defined as the unmerited favor and support God bequeathed upon us. Titus 2:11,12 I paraphrase: The grace

The Small Nigeria in my Classroom

Happy Democracy Day fellow Nigerian democrat. I wish you a prosperous day! I believe there is a micro Nigerian society in my class here in school. This got me thinking about the similarity between the Nigerian Political space and my class, I will attempt to highlight these similarities as honestly as possible without sentiments just as I have observed them. These are just honest observations devoid of any malice. Okay? First of all, let's go tribal. My classroom is divided into these major groups; there are the Yoruba speakers, Nupe speakers, Hausa speakers and the English speakers. Yoruba speakers are those people who speak Yoruba most (they may not even be Yoruba). Nupe speakers are mostly Niger state indigenes, they are quite few but are the next largest identifiable group in terms of cohesion amongst members. Hausa speaking folks are a loose band of people who feel more at ease using Hausa as a Lingua Franca than English. English speakers don't really use any other langua

Falling: Of Risks and Losses

Credit: Jerry X Based on true life events The events described herein happened to a bosom friend of mine. It is with his sad commission that I share this story. He believes that by some stroke of good fortune, this story could be a way out of his sadness. This the story of my beloved friend whom I shall not name to protect his identity. My friend met this lady at a professional engagement about this time last year. In his words “I caught sight of her when she stood up to introduce herself. She just stood out from the crowd. She was not just beautiful but she spoke intelligently. I knew if I did not get her number, I'd have fallen hand”. He further confided that I served as extra motivation. That he knew that if he let her go, I'd not tolerate any made up stories. While I feel humbled, I must clarify that I do not push my friends to go a-philandering. I just detest sloppiness, timidity and inferiority complex. So when my friend brought news of his new acqu