Skip to main content

In Awe of The Computer

Good God! I just saw my blog has received about 1030 page views. This is goodnews, the fact some blogs recieve about 4k pageviews in a day notwithstanding. This got me reminiscing on the history I share with computers and the Internet.

I remember the first time I saw a computer. It was sometime in 2002, my Primary School had acquired a computer at that time and the computer tutor took pride in teaching us about it. I remember part of our lessons included practicals in which Mr Moses the tutor would summon you to 'the computer' and ask you to type your name. I recall approaching the computer with great awe, and humility and using my right index finger to 'input' my name, I-M-M-A-N-U-E-L. I recall the great pride that followed afterwards. I was in awe of 'the computer'. We were taught we not to just put it off like a TV, we had to carry out some special procedures called 'shutting down'. Only one dude in my class, Elijah Monday knew how to shut down 'the computer'. He was genius for that.. To think the awe inspiring computer was some Second hand Pentium 1 computer makes me laugh now. Back then only only one family I knew had a computer.

It was in Secondary School I had opportunity to get close up with computers. My first test in the subject Computer Science comprised of clicking, opening folders, and closing them. Clicking! Lol, I remember getting worked up before a test hoping I would click properly. Within weeks, months and years, I was good with computers, Caleb Grimah and I even began making Power Point presentations for fun. Then he fell in love with Photoshop and was lost forever. I recall wondering what a person would ever want with Photoshop. I now know better.

Big thanks to Old Shepherd's (my Secondary school) they afforded me the exposure to the internet. However, the first time I went online was in 2004 (I think), my dad took me with him to send emails. There were just about two cyber cafes in Lafia then, Aibro Cyber cafe and another one. Aibro cyber cafe was our regular cyberspot. So when our school got internet facilities and appointed me Library man in charge of the library and internet, I fed on it hungrily. My first website was immanuelgaladima.geocities.com or something like that, it was subsequently shut down when Geocities went under. My first email address was driftlordIII@yahoo.com, someone stole it from me lol (A friend told me he would steal it, I dared him and he did). It was around that time I even opened my Facebook account.

Now we look at people without facebook accounts as weird. almost every one I know has one. I stalked a lot so I know. These days I go online daily, spending at least 2 hours daily, a lot of freaks spend a lot more time online. Almost everyone has an email account, there is Twitter now.Most people surf the net on their phones and hardly visit cybercafes.

The awe for computers is gone. I have one and I do with it as I wish. I even consider it a servant of some sort to me. Kids these days know computers like the back of their hands. I saw a six year old toying with with a tablet in church once, and he was completely at ease with it. A nine year old Nigerian kid was recently certified as a Microsoft Office expert. When I was nine, I was content with searching for I-M-M-A-N-U-E-L on the keyboard and typing them in microsoft word. How times change.





Happy Ed Kabir Holidays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's grace, subway surfers: what's the connection?

I was in church yesterday for Bible study and it was so awesome I had to share. We studied God's grace which in Greek is Charis. Let me digress. I am a big fan of the game subway surfers and I have a score of about 255k to show for the countless hours I have put into the game. When I first launched the game a friend told me his highest score was about 80k, he further told me that he'd seen folks with scores in millions. My ultimate goal then became having a score of at least 300k. It seemed like a tall order. However with time I realised that there were boosts (like surfboards, score boosters, magnets and power ups) and aids to help me achieve my goal. The more I ran, the more boosts I gathered,  the easier the game became and the higher my scores climbed. Now this post ain't entirely about subway surfers. Its also about God's grace. God's grace to us can be defined as the unmerited favor and support God bequeathed upon us. Titus 2:11,12 I paraphrase: The grace

The Small Nigeria in my Classroom

Happy Democracy Day fellow Nigerian democrat. I wish you a prosperous day! I believe there is a micro Nigerian society in my class here in school. This got me thinking about the similarity between the Nigerian Political space and my class, I will attempt to highlight these similarities as honestly as possible without sentiments just as I have observed them. These are just honest observations devoid of any malice. Okay? First of all, let's go tribal. My classroom is divided into these major groups; there are the Yoruba speakers, Nupe speakers, Hausa speakers and the English speakers. Yoruba speakers are those people who speak Yoruba most (they may not even be Yoruba). Nupe speakers are mostly Niger state indigenes, they are quite few but are the next largest identifiable group in terms of cohesion amongst members. Hausa speaking folks are a loose band of people who feel more at ease using Hausa as a Lingua Franca than English. English speakers don't really use any other langua

Falling: Of Risks and Losses

Credit: Jerry X Based on true life events The events described herein happened to a bosom friend of mine. It is with his sad commission that I share this story. He believes that by some stroke of good fortune, this story could be a way out of his sadness. This the story of my beloved friend whom I shall not name to protect his identity. My friend met this lady at a professional engagement about this time last year. In his words “I caught sight of her when she stood up to introduce herself. She just stood out from the crowd. She was not just beautiful but she spoke intelligently. I knew if I did not get her number, I'd have fallen hand”. He further confided that I served as extra motivation. That he knew that if he let her go, I'd not tolerate any made up stories. While I feel humbled, I must clarify that I do not push my friends to go a-philandering. I just detest sloppiness, timidity and inferiority complex. So when my friend brought news of his new acqu