Skip to main content

Letters in a Glass Bottle II

Irrational Fear||Rationality in the Face of Fear

Son,

Is there any way it is rational to fight a lunatic? Would you have imagined I had ever decided to fight a mad man? Let me share with you a small story. I lived in Abeokuta one time, and in the district where I lived there was a lunatic (as with all the neighbourhoods in Abeokuta). This guy always walked about with a stick along the road median. It happened that on this fateful day, I had crossed one side of the road to the median, when I saw him coming. He was armed with his stick and was wielding it with a fierce look on his face. I thought he even pointed it at me one time as he started marching towards me determinedly.

Naked fear hugged me tight and I began to sweat. I decided to quickly cross over before he reached me but the speeding oncoming traffic made it impossible. Beating a retreat to where I came from was far more impossible. It was me and a lunatic in the middle of speeding traffic. Fear told me to get away as fast as possible. Attempting to cross at all costs will definitely result in an accident or worse get me killed. To what end? That I was running from a lunatic? What was I to do? I then decided if this guy attacks me or tries to push me off unto traffic we were going to fight.

 The mad man got closer and with each step he took, it was getting clearer that a fight was imminent. My heart began to pound and sweat dripped off my eyebrows. I acted aloof yet I spied on his approach with my side eye. I’m all for peace but I won’t be caught off-guard and I decided I couldn’t come and die in Abeokuta over something as worthless as this. Today I was going to run mad since Yoruba people say when you fight a crazy person, bystanders won’t be able to say who’s sane between you two. When the crazy fellow got to me I waited for his attack but surprisingly there was none. He just passed as fiercely as he had come. Boy was I so relieved.

Imagine if I had attempted to run away and had gotten knocked down? And had died? You’d have no daddy, one and I’ll spend my heavenward trip regretting why I ran away or you’d have a crazy daddy who got crazy because a car hit his head. You see, most of the things we are afraid of are actually not coming our way or even if they were, are powerless to hurt us. If the danger is coming our way and it is capable of causing grievous harm, only a rational plan will get you to safety. Even running away yields the best results when you plan your escape well. When you get afraid it is important that you don’t lose it to panic. Remain rational.

Save for fear of physical harm which is a natural thing, most of the things we fear happening in the social realm world rarely come to pass or even if they do their effects are not as bad as we fear. For example when I was younger, I had a morbid fear of speaking in public or addressing groups of people. I usually feared something embarrassing would happen, which actually never happened (save for the day one dude pulled my trousers on stageJ), this irrational fear stopped me from sharing my thoughts with people for a long time and making meaningful friendships.

Likewise, I had this stupid fear of visiting Lagos alone. A friend of mine was mugged there once and I thought if I went there I’d be mugged too, how silly. Due to this fear I passed up many opportunities of visiting Lagos, but when I eventually got over this irrationality I enjoyed several trips to Lag. And while there nobody mugged me.

I was also going to write about women in this paragraph but I think I have changed my mind. I’ll just conclude instead.

To be afraid is not actually a bad thing; it is a natural flag that warns me of impeding sticky situations. Allowing fear to push you to panic is what is stupid. In the face of fear, it is important to remain calm and think logically however hard it may be.

I hope you've learnt something.


Lots of love 

Your Dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's grace, subway surfers: what's the connection?

I was in church yesterday for Bible study and it was so awesome I had to share. We studied God's grace which in Greek is Charis. Let me digress. I am a big fan of the game subway surfers and I have a score of about 255k to show for the countless hours I have put into the game. When I first launched the game a friend told me his highest score was about 80k, he further told me that he'd seen folks with scores in millions. My ultimate goal then became having a score of at least 300k. It seemed like a tall order. However with time I realised that there were boosts (like surfboards, score boosters, magnets and power ups) and aids to help me achieve my goal. The more I ran, the more boosts I gathered,  the easier the game became and the higher my scores climbed. Now this post ain't entirely about subway surfers. Its also about God's grace. God's grace to us can be defined as the unmerited favor and support God bequeathed upon us. Titus 2:11,12 I paraphrase: The grace

The Small Nigeria in my Classroom

Happy Democracy Day fellow Nigerian democrat. I wish you a prosperous day! I believe there is a micro Nigerian society in my class here in school. This got me thinking about the similarity between the Nigerian Political space and my class, I will attempt to highlight these similarities as honestly as possible without sentiments just as I have observed them. These are just honest observations devoid of any malice. Okay? First of all, let's go tribal. My classroom is divided into these major groups; there are the Yoruba speakers, Nupe speakers, Hausa speakers and the English speakers. Yoruba speakers are those people who speak Yoruba most (they may not even be Yoruba). Nupe speakers are mostly Niger state indigenes, they are quite few but are the next largest identifiable group in terms of cohesion amongst members. Hausa speaking folks are a loose band of people who feel more at ease using Hausa as a Lingua Franca than English. English speakers don't really use any other langua

Falling: Of Risks and Losses

Credit: Jerry X Based on true life events The events described herein happened to a bosom friend of mine. It is with his sad commission that I share this story. He believes that by some stroke of good fortune, this story could be a way out of his sadness. This the story of my beloved friend whom I shall not name to protect his identity. My friend met this lady at a professional engagement about this time last year. In his words “I caught sight of her when she stood up to introduce herself. She just stood out from the crowd. She was not just beautiful but she spoke intelligently. I knew if I did not get her number, I'd have fallen hand”. He further confided that I served as extra motivation. That he knew that if he let her go, I'd not tolerate any made up stories. While I feel humbled, I must clarify that I do not push my friends to go a-philandering. I just detest sloppiness, timidity and inferiority complex. So when my friend brought news of his new acqu