Skip to main content

What You Should Be Doing As An Undergraduate

Due to some minor complication, I have been away from school for a while and this has afforded me the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds; though I am still an undergraduate, being away from school deceives me into thinking like a graduate.
Recently I spent some time thinking about how to make one’s days as an undergraduate worthwhile and I came up with these:

Develop a skill
Apart from getting schooled there should be something else of you learn during your days in school. It could range from the academic to the incredulous for example you could develop your writing skill or you as a guy could fine tune your skill in understanding and translating the feminine dialect of the language Gobbledygook (that’s the incredulous).
School should not just be about getting a degree and getting out. Developing yourself in several areas where your interests lie is a big plus.


Dig into your Profession
The main you are in school is to become a professional in your field. While in school dig into it and gobble it all up. If you are an engineer learn to speak like one when professional issues are raised, it wouldn’t hurt to speak and throw in some professional language (read jargon) once in a while. I am usually dismayed when I come across some folks who don’t really know a thing about their professions. They are asked “oh so you studying to be a Vet doctor, what’s the difference between that and the profession Animal Production?” and the go: “I don’t really know”.
Even if you don’t like the course you are studying, for the sake of the money you pay as school fees, dig it.


Build Friendships and Network
Several great partnerships and friendships began in universities. Universities are a fertile ground for breeding ideas, hence if you meet people of like minds befriend them. Larry Page and Sergey Brin of Google met and became partners while they were students at the university (PhD students though), and their partnership has helped shape the way we see computers and the internet.

A lot of the friends you will have for the rest of your life may be from your undergrad days; however the bulk of your professional friends will be from your undergrad days. Think wisely and value the people you see every day in class.

The university is a diverse society; there are different professions and there are different fields. Something you should be doing is building your networks. While you are in school your bunk mate may be some dude studying engineering, an architect could be your club member, the list is endless. It will be wise to keep your networks strong and alive. You may not know where you’ll need the services of an engineer or an architect or a lawyer in the future.

Some countries are ruled (directly or indirectly, economically or politically) by the alumni of their elite universities e.g.the Nigerian Defence Academy. FUT Minna is an elite university too right?


Have fun
Does it need to be said? I used to think this was a no brainer until I met some people. Yes, take out time to have fun and play. Your four or five years in school should not just be blank and devoid of fun activities. Just take out time to do something that’s not academic in nature periodically.

You wouldn’t want to graduate and struggle to remember if you did anything else but study. Play football, go hiking, watch football matches, and visit friends. Just don’t go overboard with the fun.


Join a club
Just as I pointed out earlier, try having a life outside the classroom. Don’t just be “that guy”, have something people can identify you with. Have a group people can identify you with. Joining a group, club or fellowship is the easiest way to make friends and build networks. Don’t just join groups because you want to build partnerships and networks, join because you agree with their ideals.

Clubs, groups and fellowships are also a cool source of unadulterated fun. They build up your skills and build your spirit. When I mean groups I am not talking about associations which every student must be member, like the Departmental Associations. Just join the clubs you fancy, again don’t let these groups interfere with your academics.


Have your own Projects and Plan Ahead
I am not sure but I think most tech partnerships that shook the world began in Universities. Sergey Brin and Larry Page were in the same University when they started tech giant Google. Facebook has its roots in the University. I’ll look up where and how Twitter and Instagram began.

While you are being taught in school it’s wise to nurse a personal project of yours on how the knowledge you are gathering could be applied. When I say project am not talking about dissertation or thesis. Such a project could be a small startup in your field, it could be a business idea it could be theory. Just have such in your mind, the beauty of it all is after you have generated an idea for the project and polished it, you could just keep it to revisit it after graduation.

Planning ahead should be something you must do too, by now you should start thinking what career paths you want to follow. One who plans ahead is hardly ever stranded, think up the kind of firms you want to work with, the area you want to specialize in and make plans.


I hope this piece helped, now hit the ground running. Make good use of your undergraduate days.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's grace, subway surfers: what's the connection?

I was in church yesterday for Bible study and it was so awesome I had to share. We studied God's grace which in Greek is Charis. Let me digress. I am a big fan of the game subway surfers and I have a score of about 255k to show for the countless hours I have put into the game. When I first launched the game a friend told me his highest score was about 80k, he further told me that he'd seen folks with scores in millions. My ultimate goal then became having a score of at least 300k. It seemed like a tall order. However with time I realised that there were boosts (like surfboards, score boosters, magnets and power ups) and aids to help me achieve my goal. The more I ran, the more boosts I gathered,  the easier the game became and the higher my scores climbed. Now this post ain't entirely about subway surfers. Its also about God's grace. God's grace to us can be defined as the unmerited favor and support God bequeathed upon us. Titus 2:11,12 I paraphrase: The grace

The Small Nigeria in my Classroom

Happy Democracy Day fellow Nigerian democrat. I wish you a prosperous day! I believe there is a micro Nigerian society in my class here in school. This got me thinking about the similarity between the Nigerian Political space and my class, I will attempt to highlight these similarities as honestly as possible without sentiments just as I have observed them. These are just honest observations devoid of any malice. Okay? First of all, let's go tribal. My classroom is divided into these major groups; there are the Yoruba speakers, Nupe speakers, Hausa speakers and the English speakers. Yoruba speakers are those people who speak Yoruba most (they may not even be Yoruba). Nupe speakers are mostly Niger state indigenes, they are quite few but are the next largest identifiable group in terms of cohesion amongst members. Hausa speaking folks are a loose band of people who feel more at ease using Hausa as a Lingua Franca than English. English speakers don't really use any other langua

Falling: Of Risks and Losses

Credit: Jerry X Based on true life events The events described herein happened to a bosom friend of mine. It is with his sad commission that I share this story. He believes that by some stroke of good fortune, this story could be a way out of his sadness. This the story of my beloved friend whom I shall not name to protect his identity. My friend met this lady at a professional engagement about this time last year. In his words “I caught sight of her when she stood up to introduce herself. She just stood out from the crowd. She was not just beautiful but she spoke intelligently. I knew if I did not get her number, I'd have fallen hand”. He further confided that I served as extra motivation. That he knew that if he let her go, I'd not tolerate any made up stories. While I feel humbled, I must clarify that I do not push my friends to go a-philandering. I just detest sloppiness, timidity and inferiority complex. So when my friend brought news of his new acqu