Skip to main content

Two Flames on a Candle (Episode 2)

Miriam lost her peace since her husband Chima first had a violent nightmare. More nightmares followed in the subsequent nights and Miriam was all the worse for it. Chima on his part said little about his nightmares, but from the little he said, she could guess they were all gory. All Chima would say was that he had nightmares about war and would ask that they pray against war. 

The nightmares took their toll on Chima, sudden sounds startled him and he winced whenever he heard gunfire on TV. Miriam was surprised when Emeka his younger brother called her to report Chima. Chima had visited their mother and then seized his game console because Emeka was playing violent games. Surprisingly, it was Chima who had bought the particular game for Emeka. 

"I don't know why he is acting that way but it is strange" Emeka complained.

"I think he is just stressed. I will talk to him" Miriam replied. Emeka was a mild-mannered young chap who was like the brother Miriam never had. Emeka was in his third year at the university, studying to become a lawyer. This made her fond of him as she was a lawyer.

Chima's nightmares were generally of the same theme; gore. They'd be at war, bullets would be flying, men would fall and the enemy will gain on them. It was either they were overwhelmed by the enemy, or worse, they were captured and lined up to be executed. Chima always woke up just before being shot. The mysterious experience was taking a toll on him. Miriam was already making a big deal out of it and was already talking about talking to their pastor. 

Chima knew something had to be done before his issues became a story on some blogger's site.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian banks: So much hype, so little groundwork.

This events chronicled herein truly occurred as the world spun past this morning. Today I took it upon myself to pay up all individuals and groups I was indebted to. This involved visiting three big time Nigerian banks. These transactions which could have simply been carried out with my PC, had to be done the old school way because online transactions are not common (no one I know has ever used the system), hence it could n''t be trusted. Aside the long queues and the ages it took to get served, these banks are are quite in contrast with what you'd see in the slick adverts on CNN or NTA (Nigerian Banks do ads on CNN). The staff are not that friendly, and you can waste a lot of productive time just waiting for your turn ( I kill time watching TV whenever I visit a bank) In one of the Banks I visited, (this bank boasts of ''Pan- African ess'' ) the bulk room where I went to pay in money was desecrated with graffiti on the side boards. Yes! Graffiti, scr...

God's grace, subway surfers: what's the connection?

I was in church yesterday for Bible study and it was so awesome I had to share. We studied God's grace which in Greek is Charis. Let me digress. I am a big fan of the game subway surfers and I have a score of about 255k to show for the countless hours I have put into the game. When I first launched the game a friend told me his highest score was about 80k, he further told me that he'd seen folks with scores in millions. My ultimate goal then became having a score of at least 300k. It seemed like a tall order. However with time I realised that there were boosts (like surfboards, score boosters, magnets and power ups) and aids to help me achieve my goal. The more I ran, the more boosts I gathered,  the easier the game became and the higher my scores climbed. Now this post ain't entirely about subway surfers. Its also about God's grace. God's grace to us can be defined as the unmerited favor and support God bequeathed upon us. Titus 2:11,12 I paraphrase: The grace ...

Falling: Of Risks and Losses

Credit: Jerry X Based on true life events The events described herein happened to a bosom friend of mine. It is with his sad commission that I share this story. He believes that by some stroke of good fortune, this story could be a way out of his sadness. This the story of my beloved friend whom I shall not name to protect his identity. My friend met this lady at a professional engagement about this time last year. In his words “I caught sight of her when she stood up to introduce herself. She just stood out from the crowd. She was not just beautiful but she spoke intelligently. I knew if I did not get her number, I'd have fallen hand”. He further confided that I served as extra motivation. That he knew that if he let her go, I'd not tolerate any made up stories. While I feel humbled, I must clarify that I do not push my friends to go a-philandering. I just detest sloppiness, timidity and inferiority complex. So when my friend brought news of his new acqu...